Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID is a belief system that directly teaches students strategies to engage in higher levels of thinking and prepare for all opportunities beyond high school.
What is AVID?
The AVID Elementary program focuses on:
- Student Success Skills: Communication skills (e.g. listening, speaking, writing), self-advocacy skills, note-taking strategies, critical thinking, study skills, and developing a growth mindset teaching students how to be better learners by equipping them with the skills they need to succeed.
- Organizational Skills: Both mental and physical, students learn to use organizational tools, as well as learn and practice skills around time management and goal-setting.
- Lifelong Learning Skills: Instruction focused on Writing to learn, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading to learn (WICOR) at high academic levels across all content areas.
- Instruction: WICOR forms the foundation for instruction in the AVID elementary classroom.
- Culture: Avid Elementary sites incorporate rigorous, relevant, differentiated opportunities for all students in an environment that promotes college readiness.
- Leadership: AVID Elementary leaders support, guide, and facilitate implementation for all students.
- Systems: As an AVID school, we align our systems within the four pillars of excellence: accountability, articulation, assessment, and calibration. This ensures the success of AVID implementation.